It's spring, the animals are coming back. And many of them are a danger for dogs, but also for cats! The scolopendre, mainly present in the South of France - but also seen in Normandy - is unappealing and its danger is real.
According to Wiki :
Scolopendra is an animal carnivorous and sometimes poisonous.
The bite of bark beetles can be very painful(especially in tropical species, with swelling and sometimes skin necrosis around the bite). Treatment is symptomatic: local disinfection and painkillers.
Scolopendra cingulata is found all around the Mediterranean Sea. It is 10 to 15 cm long and although The bite can be fatal to a dog, but it is not always fatal. Equally painful, it is not fatal to humans. Scolopendra gigantea, found in South America, is the largest species and can grow up to 40 cm long - Urgh.
It seeps in anywhere, as long as it is dark and humidIt can be found both indoors and outdoors. Frequently seen in the woods (under stones and piles of dead wood) or at home, in the bathrooms and the low-traffic rooms.
Obviously, it is not not easy to avoid that the puppies come into contact with these small animals... Some run after them and try to eat themand this is the danger. It is important to know identify a bite of scolopendre to be able to react as quickly as possible and to avoid poisoning the hairy man...
A bite from a scolopendra can cause oedema and necrosis of bitten tissue. These symptoms can be deadlybecause they prevent breathingor if the small animal has bitten the vital organs... you can guess the rest.
Signs of a possible scolopendra bite:
- Inflammation around a brand of
- bite (two points a few millimetres apart). The
- areas the most common are: The muzzle, the belly, the legs, the ears.
- Tissue necrosis mouths or pads.
- Lack of appetite
- Difficulty breathing
In the event of a bite from a scolopendra > emergency veterinarian.
Repel these little beasts
Forget it for the "Nature" part, though in your home and garden is possible.
- Cleaning should be done as often as possible A healthy lifestyle ensures that your environment is not favourable to the way of life of this kind of animal.
- Windows open for fifteen minutes, every day to leave bring in light and air into rooms. Don't worry, they won't come in at that time.
- Remove piles pebbles, rocks, or wood in the garden - if you have any.