Without a doubt, it's spring and the animals are back. And many of them are a danger not only to dogs, but also to cats! The scolopendre, found mainly in the south of France - but also seen in Normandy - is unappetizing and its danger is real.
According to Wiki:
Scolopendra is an animal carnivorous and sometimes poisonous.
The bite of bark beetles can be very painful.(especially tropical species, with edema and sometimes skin necrosis around the bite). Treatment is symptomatic: local disinfection and analgesics.
Scolopendra cingulata is found all around the Mediterranean Sea. It measures 10 to 15 cm and although its bite can be fatal for a dog, it isn't always. Just as painful, it is not fatal to humans. Scolopendra gigantea, found in South America, is the largest species and can reach up to 40 cm in length - Urgh.
It seeps in anywhere, as long as it's dark and dampfor both indoor and outdoor use. Frequently seen in woods (under stones and piles of dead wood) or at home, in the bathrooms and low-traffic rooms.
Of course, it's it's not easy to keep the pups out of each other's way with these little animals... Some chase and try to eat themand this is where the danger lies. You need to know identifying a bite to be able to react as quickly as possible and avoid poisoning the hairy one...
A scolopendre bite can cause edema and necrosis of bitten tissue. These symptoms can be lethalbecause they prevent breathingor if the small animal has bitten vital organs... you can guess the rest.
Signs of a possible scolopendra bite:
- Inflammation around a brand of
- bite (two points a few millimetres apart). Visit
- zones the most common are: Muzzle, belly, legs, ears.
- Tissue necrosis or pads.
- Lack of appetite
- Difficult breathing
In case of scolopendra bite > emergency veterinarian.
Repel these little beasts
Forget it for the "Nature" part, on the other hand at home and in your garden.
- Cleaning should be done as often as possible a healthy lifestyle ensures that your environment is not conducive to to the lifestyle of this type of animal.
- Windows open for fifteen minutes, every day to leave bring light and air into rooms. Don't worry, they won't be back then.
- Remove piles pebbles, rocks or wood in the garden - if you have any.